Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Ipad case: functional

The only thing I am only ever jealous of in regards to my husband is Mac. Apple is has come between us on more than one occasion. There are pros, of course, in that he is knowledgable, and therefore can help me use functions to my advantage. In fact, he often will post tips on his blog about how to use your device to the zenith of its potential. 

Well, the one thing he really wanted for Christmas was a Red Ryder BB Gun. No, he wanted an Ipad, but I still told him he'd shoot his eye out. Anyways, by the generosity of our families, his dreams came true. So, the first thing I did after Christmas was make him the perfect case. 

It is modeled after the smart case, sans the magnets (though, in doing research, it seemed like the magnet part is definitely DIY-able.) 

We looked for a snazzy, but manly, black and gold fabric to represent our past and future schools, but to no avail. Fortunately, I had this black and white hounds tooth print from high school when I made a purse for a friend! 
I created a rough model of what I wanted the case to look like and how it should function. The measurements weren't exact, but it helped me see where the folds/bends should be.

Some of the materials
Once again, my resourceful Father stepped in to save the DIY day! We used these plastic binder dividers to create panels for the case. They gave a sturdy base. We considered using cardboard, but I wanted to be able to wash it.

I covered the plastic panels with felt or batting. I had limited amounts of both, so I worked with what I had. I sewed it tight so that it became a padded pannel. 


I had 5 panels total. 2 for the front flap, 2 for the back, where the Ipad sits, and the last 1 (skinny black) is the top flap.

Next I laid out the fabric. The dimensions were tricky because of the functionality. I needed the back panels to be wide enough to base the Ipad, and the other panels to be the right distance to fold together. I calculated the width of my panels, adding .5 inch between, and about that on the ends for sewing together. 

I sewed the fabric starting like a pillow case, but only on 1 long side and 1 short side. I started at the end of the skinny panel (the over flap.)

I stuffed the panel into my already sewn corner as tight as I could. Then I sewed straight down the side next to it as tight as I could, leaving the bottom open. I repeated this step for each panel. Between panels that need extra space (especially the flaps), I sewed a seam on both sides of each panel, leaving about a .5 inch between seams.  At the end, I sewed the open edges (bottom and final side) together by folding under and sewing together. 

The trickiest past was the elastic. Because of the panels, I couldn't use the sewing machine. I had to use a round needle (which killed my fingers!). My fabric was a little touch, and the needle was thick. But they seem to be holding up. 

This case has 2 standing functions:

Stand 1: Upright
Stand 2: Reclined


I intended to add some kind of fastener, but never got around to it. And it works fine without. 



Now you can do it, too! I realize this is not quite a tutorial. But if you want to make one for yourself, I would be more than happy to give you better instructions, or answer questions you have along the way! 

Happy Creating!



1 comment:

  1. Followed a link from Pinterest and just wanted to let you know that your Ipad case is fantastic. Just another reason for me to get my sewing machine in the shop.

    ReplyDelete