Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY- Nook Cover

A tutorial!

Since I have the time, talent, resources and unceasing desire for saving money, I tried to think of great homemade Christmas presents last year (2011). Often, homemade gifts are better because they are more thoughtful, unique, and they hold sentimental value. But it does take more thought to find the right gift for the right person, not just a pot holder or can of cookie ingredients for everyone on your list. (Though those gifts are great if you have to give in bulk to people you don't know well.)

(This seems like it should be a December post. Archive it away for later this year!)

My mother-in-law loves to read and had recently got a Nook Color before Christmas. In my opinion, any portable electronic device needs a case because we are only human! I found this tutorial on pinterest, and it was so simple!

First, I found the dimensions for the Nook Color, since the tutorial could be altered for any E reader. 


I used matting that I found in my mom's sewing drawer, and pieces of fabric left over from other projects.  


The tutorial give great step by step instructions, and I don't want to take credit for all the work in planning. 
Basically, you sew the pockets on first. Then you sew the outer pieces with the matting like a pillow case, inside out. Turn it right side, and stitch all the outer edges without lifting. Finish by adding the elastic corners to hold the reader. This case protects and is functional! 

I covered the elastic that holds the device in with ribbon because I thought the elastic looked tacky. Originally, I used one strip across the bottom because I didn't have to device to use to measure the corners. However, this method was not secure enough for my liking, so I later adjusted it to 4 corners of elastic, using the Nook to measure exactly where to place them and how tight. 


The tutorial includes 3 handy pockets: 2 vertical on the left side, and 1 horizontally underneath the other 2. 


I used a pony tail holder for the elastic loop. 


Instead of using a button, I made this fabric flower out of the fabric of the inner pockets. Here is a very simple tutorial of how to make these. I have made tons! So easy to make out of scraps from other projects, and you could stick them on anything as a little embellishment! 


The final product!

Usually, I am detailed and particular; but when it comes to sewing, I just want to finish a project. But I saw that asymmetry and funky shapes is part of the homemade charm!




No comments:

Post a Comment