Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Daisy's Baby Shower: Cupcakes

Originally, we were going to get daisy cupcakes from Publix or Sams. However, being the family that we are, we decided "we can do that!"

And we did.

About a month ago, I began the endeavor of creating a professional quality cupcake (or at least the look). 
We bought a Wilton cake decorating kit and I began to practice. Let's take a look at the past 4 weeks, and 3 attempts. 

Attempt #1: Canned icing



When i realized that I was not gonna get the look I wanted, I sought alternatives.



I did some research and realized I needed to make my own icing. 

Attempt #2 I have no pictures of, but things went terribly wrong. I experimented with 2 batches, and concluded that I needed fresh ingredients. 

Attempt #3 came out well; though the icing still seemed to melt quickly, it tasted good. During this attempt I learned the difference between cake decorating tips and cupcake decorating tips. If you are trying to create the lovely cupcake swirl, you need large or jumbo tips. For our final result, I used a Wilton 32 star tip. It may be even easier with a larger tip. 

I used this cream cheese frosting recipe and her decorating tips which I found through Pinterest. 

Fourth and final attempt: Moment of Truth.






Cutting mini marshmallows in thirds created these daisy petals which were the prefect accent! (I got that one from Better Homes and Gardens!)





I was very satisfied with my work, but am not sure I would want to make a hobby of cake or cupcake decorating! I suppose it is a handy skill to have though. 







1 comment:

  1. Plus, they tasted amazing!!! This is definitely a handy skill to have. Such great memories of savoring these cupcakes...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete